Match.com was founded in April of 1995 and since its launch; it has helped pioneer the online dating industry. Studies indicate that 1 in 5 new relationships begin online and 1 in 6 new marriages occur between people who met online.
Now with over 15 million members in 25 countries, Match.com is one of the most prolific dating sites on the Internet. It is featured in eight different languages and spans five continents.
Match.com utilizes proprietary algorithms and features like the Daily 5 and Singled Out, which continuously update; based on user’s behavior. This allows for a richer, more dynamic user experience and greater probability of finding matches.
Match.com also enables members to use mobile technology to connect and communicate with other eligible single members using a wide range of smart phones.
Last year, Match.com helped over 250,000 singles find their perfect match. They are so confident in their ability to find matches for their members, they will add an additional six months to a membership if matches haven’t been found within the first six months.
Match.com uses an open forum model, which allows its members to view pictures and profiles of prospective matches. Profiles typically contain up to 26 pictures and a listing of selected preferences about the person they are searching for.
Match.com is also very sensitive to its member’s privacy. All communication is through an “anonymous” email network, which keeps member’s names and contact information confidential until the members decide to share it with prospective matches. The Match.com Customer Care team screens every profile and photo for appropriateness before it is posted.
Match.com boasts a diverse membership pool: (From U.S. data of member profiles)
• 25.3% are under age 30; 50.4% are ages 30-49; 24.3% are age 50+
• 75% have some college or college degree
• 67.5% non-smokers, 23.6% smokers, (9.9% did not answer)
• 46% do not have children, 23.5% have children who at least sometimes live at home, 12.8% have children away from home, (9.5% did not answer)
• The 50+ age group is Match.com’s fastest growing demographic
How Match.com Works
Match.com is easy to use. Simply sign up, complete a profile, then begin searching for matches. If you find someone that you would like to communicate with, Match.com will offer a number of subscription options that include one month, six months and yearly memberships.
Match.com: #1 Dating Site – View Pics for Free
Match.com Pros & Cons
• Offers an open forum model enabling “browsing” of members
• Offers free trials
• Offers mobile technology options
• Social network integration, allowing friends to recommend potential matches
• Relatively inexpensive to join
• Offers “Make Love Happen Guarantee” or 6 months of membership is free
• Completely open format with no filters for gender, religion, race or relationship type can be overwhelming
• Matching system is not state of the art
• Member profiles can be view by anyone
• “Ala-carte” add on features can drive up the price of membership